Sunrise Photography field trip
Saturday 28th April 2018
Coalcliff Rock Pool
- 1 x session of 5 x hours
- Time: 4:00am-9:00am
Learn how to interpret light at twilight, dawn and sunrise. You will learn how to take photographs with a minimum amount of available light, correct set up, using a tripod properly, time exposures on auto and manual exposure modes and filtration using neutral density filter(s).
Included is an introduction to HDR high dynamic range photography imaging.
Participants will learn about landscape photography; Previsualisation, exposure, composition, negative space and depth of field from a professional photographer with 25 years of experience in press photography and over 42 years experience with camera and related photographic equipment.
Participants will also be sent an email prior to filed trip re kit requirements etc (see below)
Photographs taken during this field trip are suitable any of my Digital Post Processing Courses.
Camera set up; Picture settings, ISO (film speed), white balance.
How to correctly install and use filters; neutral density and polarizing.
Keeping it sharp, level and steady.
How to interpret the light, how to do correct time exposures, using a tripod properly, photographing on both auto, and manual exposure modes.
Previsualization and landscape Photography.
Shallow and deep, depth of field.
Composition, framing, thirds, and negative space.
Post field trip debrief
Post Field trip debrief (last hour) the Photography Tutor will run a field trip debrief; assessment of participants photographs as well as an open chat session to anything relating to photography, equipment or theory.
This field trip is suitable for anyone whom have either completed a beginners and or DSLR and or intermediate photography course or similar and or whom have a thorough working knowledge of their camera, camera controls and their lens(es).
Essential Materials – Camera Equipment:
- Any adjustable digital DSLR, 4/3rds, mirrorless camera with RAW / JPEG image capability, adjustable iso / film speed settings and adjustable exposure settings; shutter, aperture and manual exposure ie S or TV, A or AV and M also if your camera has adjustable picture style settings ie monochrome standard, neutral etc
- A spare camera body if you have one
- Any wide to telephoto lens(es) / zooms(s) and or len(es) that you have (especially wide angle to standard focal length)
- If you have, a fixed or zoom fast aperture len(es) ie 50mm f1.4 / f1.8 / or a 35mm f2.0 or a 20mm 2.8, 16mm – 35mm f2.8 zoom etc would be of benefit, please bring it / them along too.
- A Tripod and tripod camera plate (the heavier the better due to long exposures and a cable release are essential as timing is crucial, (*releasing with the delayed timer on your camera is not recommended*).Filters you will need;
- A set of slip in GRADUATED neutral density filters (half clear / half tinted), a slip in filter holder and ring adaptor to fit your lens(es).I recommend the Cokin H250 graduated slip in filter set please note you will also need a Cokin adaptor ring to fit the Cokin filter holder on your lens(es).A Cokin P series filter set will fit most lenses from a 48mm filter diameter up to an 82mm filter diameter.
see the Cokin download page for more info
- A screw in or slip in 10 x STOP solid neutral density filter known as a ND 3.0 or ND1000 (you need this filter to do time exposures in daylight)
- A circular polarizing filter known as a C-PL
(I recommend buying one that fits your largest lens filter size, then use a step down ring to fit your other lenses).
- Please note; An extra battery and flash card are strongly advisable as you will be your using your camera for long exposures, and reviewing your photographs frequently, during this field trip.
IMPORTANT: Please be aware this field trip is conducted adjacent to a residential area, and to be respectful and quiet as possible for local residents, as it is very early in the morning and any noise is magnified.
Participants must be conscious of any noise they make specially getting in an out of their car closing doors and boot / hatch etc and during the actual field trip
Following points apply to the entire field trip and post field trip;
1. participants are not to alarm their cars but can key lock their vehicle
2. participants are to keep noise to a minimum
3. the actual field trip set up will be conducted undercover close to the rock pools – not in Leeder park
4. if the participant/tutor are not in normal audible range, if necessary the tutor will text participants and participants can also text to tutor if they need to raise questions or need help
A torch, weatherproof jacket, bring warm clothing jumpers etc, an umbrella and or mini umbrella (light rain, proper footwear, walking / running shoes ie rubber soles are recommended for safety reasons, *no open shoes, no leather or smooth soles.
Please bring your own food and water, note pad and pen for this field trip.
Participants will be emailed / texted if weather is too overcast / heavy rain.
Software and notes
Participants will also receive links to filter tutorials and free legitimate software which will enable participants to convert colour images to black and white, and also process raw and jpeg images, these links will be sent to participants at the completion of the course (via email).
Programs offered are legitimate, current and free software, of which you will also be able to download on your own home PC / Laptop (please note; most software is available for recent Windows and Apple operating programs), a connection to the internet, and have access privileges to download and install software onto your PC, Laptop, Notebook or Surface tablet).
*Please note this does not include Android or Apple IOS (ipad etc).
Coalcliff meeting point
We will meet on Paterson Road, Coalcliff, in front of Leeder Park, Coalcliff (which is adjacent Coalcliff Rockpools).
Parking options on street only, there is no parking at the rock pools.
*Please check the parking signs before you leave your car
Please note; public transport is not available to arrive by start time
Please note; parking fines / parking fees / transport to and from / coffee / drinks / breakfast / lunch /morning tea are not included in cost of field trip.
8AM CAFE (de-brief)
Earth Walker & Co General Store & Cafe
749 Lawrence Hargrave Dr, Coledale
Photos by Neoklis Bloukos are for illustrative purposes only
#SunrisePhotography #Coalcliff #Coalcliffnsw
#seacliffbridge #seacliffbridgensw #illawarra #southcoast #nsw