9 am – 2:30 pm
Photography MACRO CLOSE UP
Sylvan Grove Native Gardens
Spoil yourself this spring, and learn creative macro and close up photography in one of the most beautiful and intimate native gardens in Australia. The native plants will be bloom, you will learn about depth of field, shallow and deep focus, how to focus properly and interpret natural light. You will be taught by a professional photography tutor in a relaxed, but very informative manner.
Spring bloom info:
Please note, not all native plants, orchids and flowers will be in bloom, September is the optimal month to photograph the orchids.
- Anyone whom has a thorough working knowledge of their camera; aperture, shutter speeds, focusing and the basic principals of photography, or whom has done the following;
- A Beginner’s Photography course or similar.
- A Beginner’s Photography course – Intensive or similar.
- A Basic DSLR / Digital Photography course or similar.
- No tripods are allowed for this field trip for safety and environmental reasons.
- Any adjustable digital DSLR, 4/3rds, mirrorless with RAW / JPEG image capability, adjustable ISO / film speed settings and adjustable exposure settings; shutter, aperture and manual exposure ie S or TV, A or AV and M
- A macro lens, a standard lens ie 35 mm or 50mm lens and or close up filter(s) and/or a set of close up tubes. If you have other fixed or zoom lens(es) i.e. 20mm / 100mm / 16 – 35mm / 10 – 20 mm / 18 – 55mm / 18 – 135 mm etc please bring them along too
- An extra battery and flash card, as you will be your using your camera, and reviewing your photographs frequently
The tutor will have one spare camera, a wide-angle zoom lens, a 50mm lens and 2 extension tubes all in the Canon EF mount that can be used and shared by the students for duration of the field trip (please bring an extra blank SD card if you need to use the tutor’s camera equipment).
Macro / Close Up Equipment note:
Students if possible should either have a lens with close-up capability, and or a close up filter, and or a set of close up tubes and or a macro lens, any of these are strongly advised to enable detailed photos some of the extremely small flowers. Even if you do not have any of the additional equipment, this field trip is a great way to learn the techniques and secrets of creative macro and close-up photography.
What else to Bring:
Please note; there could be some uneven and loose surfaces within the gardens, to participate you must wear enclosed footwear only, no open footwear ie sandals or smooth soles or high heels, these are not allowed for this field trip.
- For safety purposes acceptable footwear is as follows; walking shoes, running shoes, bush walking shoes or hiking boots, (weather-proof footwear is advisable).
- Weatherproof jacket, bring warm clothing jumpers etc, mini umbrella.
- Own food and water there are cafe / food facilities on site
- Note pad and pen
This field trip will be held in wet weather as it can give students an opportunity to capture photographs that are not normally available in fine weather.
Location to Meet:
We will meet at the entrance of Sylvan Grove Native Gardens, Sylvan Grove Picnic Point, the nearest cross Road is Henry Lawson Drive.
Roll call will start at 8.55 am
for 9.00 am sharp start